Tuesday, September 13, 2005



"The greatest love stories end in death."

That was what my Lit lecturer said during the first lect of this sem.

"Just think of Romeo and Juliet. A classic example."

I agree. And when he said that, I immediately thought of Mirage of Blaze. (^^;) 400 yrs of love and hate and it eventually ended in death. A final closure of everything that has happened. Nothing more, nothing less. Siigh~

(It's so damn depressing that every subsequent line of the novel I read, I feel so sad. I cry everytime I read that part. Anyway, I shall not dwell on it here.)

It's because of the sadness and regret that lingers, right? These feelings lingers on much much much longer than happiness. Is the phrase "happiness doesn't last" more common than "sadness doesn't last"? I think so. And besides, if regret isn't lasting, it won't be known as "regret".

On another note, it's said that originally, there wasn't a word like "hate". "Hate" was only invented much later. There was already the existence og English language, but there wasn't "hate". Who came up with it? What feelings are associated with "hate"? Why are those feelings recognized as "hate"? I guess that "hate" exist only because there's "love".

The more complex our language, the wider range of emotions we feel. Who knows there might be a new word describing a new feeling in the future.

And then, there's this point on...

Does language command love?
Or does love command language?

How do you express your love with words? Can you even do that? Does language restrict love? Or does it express love? Besides, emotions are so imprecise that it's difficult to describe them.

On an ending note, remember the quote from Written on the Body - Jeanette Winterson: "I love you is always a quotation".

(More on self and identity stuff later on... some of which I've been wondering about even before it was mentioned in lectures ^^)

himitsu @ 1:23 AM.


THE COPYRIGHTS

Layout coded, designed by Blair of Summer Skies. Image from Digik.net . Brushes from My Antiquity .